Alberta Champions has been running Student Contests since 2010 (see prior winners!) to promote greater awareness of important Albertans and their roles in building our community.
Students grades 4-9 write about great Albertans, catch the inspiration, start to emulate the champions, begin their community involvement, learn good citizenship, and can WIN GREAT PRIZES!
The contest is open to students from all schools in the Southern Alberta, from Grades 4-6 and Grades 7-9 (see rules & judging rubrics).
Win Great Prizes!
Grades 7-9 Essay Contest
First Prize: $500 certificate to Chinook Centre and a certificate of recognition of your achievement
Second Prize: $350 certificate to the Apple Store and a certificate of recognition of your achievement
Third Prize: $200 certificate to Best Buy and a certificate of recognition of your achievement
Grades 4-6 Story Contest
First Prize: $300 certificate to Chinook Centre and a certificate of recognition of your
Second Prize: $200 certificate to the Apple Store and a certificate of recognition of your
Third Prize: $100 certificate to Best Buy and a certificate of recognition of your achievement
Prize for Teachers
$200 Chapters Indigo gift certificate for the teacher of each winning student
Enter your Student Essay!
The Student Contest is NOW CLOSED.
We are still awaiting some signed parent permission forms!
Please (1) SIGN the printed forms provided by the teacher and (2) take a PHOTO of the signed form using your phone or a digital camera, and (3) REPLY to the Entry Confirmation e-mail you would have received* and (4) ATTACH the photo image file to the email.
* The parent, teacher, student, and school would have each received an Entry Confirmation e-mail for each e-mail address that was provided!
Write about these Alberta Champions:
These individuals, important to Calgary & Alberta history , can be selected as subjects for the 2018 student essay (grades 7-9) or story (grades 4-6) contest, and will be commemorated at the upcoming Field of Fame at Spruce Meadows:
You can write about these new champions, who will be recognized in Field of Fame #6:
- David Black 1880-1972, Calgary’s first jeweller and strong community leader
- Martha Cohen 1920-2015, community leader, activist and philanthropist
- Haider Dhanani 1939- 1990, entrepreneur, community leader and philanthropist
- Ruth Gorman 1914-2002, lawyer, served with aboriginal, political and women’s groups
- Bud McCaig 1929-2005, entrepreneur and philanthropist
- Ron Southern 1930-2016, co-founder of Spruce Meadows, founder of ATCO, community leader, philanthropist
You can also write about these champions, who have previously been recognized in other Fields of Fame:
Prior years’ winning entries
Here are links to the many great winning entries (and they’re also prize winning entries) from previous years’ contests: