Bringing History To Life In The Classroom: Story And Essay Contest
Alberta Champions has been running Student Contests since to 2010 to promote greater awareness of important Albertans and their roles in building our community.
Students grades 4-9 write about great Albertans, catch the inspiration, start to emulate the champions, begin their community involvement, learn good citizenship, and can WIN GREAT PRIZES!
The contest is open to students from all schools in the Southern Alberta, from Grades 4 -6 and Grades 7-9.
CONTEST DEADLINE FOR ALL ENTRIES IS APRIL 20, 2017
Attention Teachers, Grades 4 to 9:
This contest will connect with your learning outcomes. Do you want to
- Bring Alberta history to life in your classroom?
- Encourage your students to advance their writing skills and write creatively?
- Help students to discover the impact one individual can have on the community?
- Develop your students’ citizenship skills as they link diverse individuals in history with their present lives?
- Win a certificate to buy books for your classroom at Chapters?
IDEAS: Integrating into your curriculum
- Individual projects by entire class, to encourage research into Calgary and Alberta history and historical figures
- Individual projects by entire class, to encourage creative writing about historical figures and their impact on the community
- Enrichment projects, to encourage meaningful individual research and work, and develop citizenship and community connections
Over 30 LOCAL champions to choose from! Help your students celebrate our Canadian heritage
Thanks for making this opportunity available to our students. The entries were heartfelt and clearly had us all thinking how we can all make a difference in our community. It also increased students’ appreciation on how past actions of these champions can influence behaviour and actions today.”
L.M. from CBE
“Thank you so much!!! I was thrilled to hear the news that I won! This experience has been an amazing learning opportunity, as I did not have much knowledge in regards to R. B. Bennett prior to my research for this contest! This was totally unexpected and I am extremely thankful! Thank You!”
Essay winner A.W. from West Island College
Entries and WINNERS from many different schools
We have student entries AND WINNERS from a variety of schools:
- Catholic schools
- Public schools
- Calgary area and Southern Alberta schools
- Home schooling
- Private shools
Everybody is welcome to enter, and we’ll work with teachers to facilitate integration with our curriculum