Bringing History To Life In The Classroom: Story And Essay Contest
Alberta Champions has been running Student Contests since to 2010 to promote greater awareness of important Albertans and their roles in building our community.
Students grades 4-9 write about great Albertans, catch the inspiration, start to emulate the champions, begin their community involvement, learn good citizenship, and can WIN GREAT PRIZES!
The contest is open to students from all schools in the Southern Alberta, from Grades 4 -6 and Grades 7-9.
CONTEST DEADLINE FOR ALL ENTRIES IS APRIL 5, 2019
Attention Teachers, Grades 4 to 9:
This contest will connect with your learning outcomes. Do you want to
- Bring Alberta history to life in your classroom?
- Encourage your students to advance their writing skills and write creatively?
- Help students to discover the impact one individual can have on the community?
- Develop your students’ citizenship skills as they link diverse individuals in history with their present lives?
- Win a certificate to buy books for your classroom at Chapters?
IDEAS: Integrating into your curriculum
- Individual projects by entire class, to encourage research into Calgary and Alberta history and historical figures
- Individual projects by entire class, to encourage creative writing about historical figures and their impact on the community
- Enrichment projects, to encourage meaningful individual research and work, and develop citizenship and community connections
Over 30 LOCAL champions to choose from! Help your students celebrate our Canadian heritage
Entries and WINNERS from many different schools
We have student entries AND WINNERS from a variety of schools:
- Catholic schools
- Public schools
- Calgary area and Southern Alberta schools
- Home schooling
- Private shools
Everybody is welcome to enter, and we’ll work with teachers to facilitate integration with our curriculum
Thank you so much for running such an awesome contest. I will continue to work with my students on it again next year.” Teacher M.L. from CBE
“This contest taught me a lot about an incredible woman I should have known about earlier, so I hope you can keep on hosting this contest in the future to teach other students about great role models here in our city and province.” Student winner 2018
Pat Christie will be at Palliser Teachers Convention
Pat Christie will be representing the Alberta Champions Society at the 80th Annual Palliser District Teachers’ Convention 2019 on February 21 & 22, 2019, held at the Calgary Telus Convention Centre and the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
The Palliser Regional Schools represent 42 different schools in the area between Calgary and Lethbridge east of Highway 2:
We look forward to meeting with the teachers, principals, and curriculum coordinators!